Monday, May 16, 2011

XC: COTD #1 Cemeteries

On Saturday I decided to visit two cemeteries. The first cemetery I visited was the New York City Marble Cemetery. My first thoughts on the cemetery were to see tombstones sticking out of the ground. I was actually shocked since all of the tombstones were flat on the ground. Another thing I noticed is as soon as you enter a cemetery you feel sort of self-conscience. I mean I know I don't believe in ghosts but just knowing that your stepping over peoples graves and bodies just makes me really uncomfortable.  This was one of the less attractive looking cemeteries that I've ever seen. I mean I've only been to two this one and Cypress Hills Cemetery which is the other one I visited. While at Marble cemetery I also realized to myself I've never been at a cemetery unless I was visiting a deceased relative. I found it very weird just snapping photos and observing a cemetery.  A cemetery is just not a place where happiness is expected.   



On Sunday I decided to visit one more cemetery. This time it was completely different. The moment I entered the cemetery I felt sad. My whole family is buried in this cemetery all within 1000ft of one another so being here was quite emotional for me which was unexpected. This cemetery was much more fancy than Marble cemetery and about 10x the size. Due to my knowledge Cypress Hills is the largest cemetery in the city. My family section is so far away I had to be driven to the tombstones. In the car it took about 10 minutes to get there. When I finally got there all I could do was play back the funeral service of my grandmother in my head. Her funeral was the last funeral I've been to which was in 2007.  Her tombstone still looked as beautiful as ever although I was a bit angry since the grass underneath her tombstone seemed as though it was being cared for poorly.  I figured it was best to not say anything since I had the driver wait 10 minutes for me to drive me back. Before I left I dropped off some new flowers which you can see in the picture and I cried the whole drive back to the entrance.  Being in cemeteries just isn't fun, my brain has made an automatic association with cemeteries and death that I don't think can ever be erased.




Since I was taking the picture it was hard for me to get in the picture, and also the driver was rushing me so this is the best I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment