Sunday, May 15, 2011

HW 55: Culminating Project

For my culminating project I chose to write up my mother's and my own death plans. Luckily for me our guest speakers that came in today had forms and legit pamphlets specifically for people that may have been doing this type of project. I turns out that my mother plans on being cremated meanwhile keeping all of her organs. She wants me to keep her ashes in my house/apartment and pass them down from generation to generation. In my eyes she is the most important woman in her family. She is a idol and a role model for me and for generations to come. 


As for my own funeral plans me and my mother talked about it for hours and hours. I have decided that I will be cremated also in hopes that my ashes can be passed down to my children and for many generations to come. I also plan to be an organ doner. I will literally donate every single organ in my body to whomever needs it or get's to it first. Thanks to our guest speakers today I was given the 5 wishes sheet and the dignity memorial individual personal planning guide. These are two sheets where I honestly hadn't expected to see for about a decade or so. I guess now was the perfect time since I would have been pretty upset if something bad had happened to me and I hadn't had this on a piece of legal paper. I would just like to thank the speakers again, and thank you very much for bringing them into class Andy.


Tomorrow I will bring in both of these pamphlets filled out and they will each be my prop. Due to a late change of plans it seems I was not allowed by my mother to upload any pictures of the pamphlets to this blog page because my mother seems as though it's to private. I tried to sneak and post pictures up but since my mom has a blog name she checked my blog three times already. Sorry guys.

4 comments:

  1. Abdul,

    I think it is interesting that your wants to be cremated with all of her organs, while you are so intent on giving all of yours away. It seems to be the only difference between the two of your plans. What makes you want to give yours away so badly? And what makes her want to keep hers? If she's cremated, they won't exist in their original form. I wish I had been there yesterday for the speaker because they seemed to have had an impact on a lot of people's projects. I find it intriguing that you were so happy to get these forms. It's weird to think that they're even useful at our age, something that I believe a lot of us do not realize. You mentioned that you did not expect them for a couple decades, however then come to the realization that you could die tomorrow. Perhaps we should have more experience with these documents throughout our lives as to not be so surprised when eventually confronted with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Abdul,
    I think that it was cool that you could sit down and really talk to your mom about this. As well as her taking this serious because i know that we all going to die but not everyone can talk about nor go out and change the will. So think that is a good relations that you and your mother have good job

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Abdul,
    Your most beautiful line was," These are two sheets where I honestly hadn't expected to see for about a decade or so. I guess now was the perfect time since I would have been pretty upset if something bad had happened to me and I hadn't had this on a piece of legal paper." This is a very interesting line because although you didn't expect to see the sheets for a couple years, you soon came to the realization that you could die and day. A wise realization if I must say so myself. Although it may be hard for some people to admit myself included that I could die the next day. Nicely told story Abdul keep up the good work and I look forward to reading your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abdul,

    I thought that the fact that you interviewed your mother was a very courageous move on your part. I can understand how difficult and uncomfortable it must have been to sit there and talk about what she would like to be done with her body when she dies, since the death of a parent is an agonizing experience. I think it is interesting to compare and contrast two different thoughts on taking care of the dead from two different people who come from different educational backgrounds. I think your choice of donating your organs is a noble one and you should stick to that choice.
    Good post.

    Abdullah

    ReplyDelete