Monday, May 9, 2011

HW 53: Independent Research A

1st Article:
Cohen, Debra."Religion Journal; More Jews Turn to Ritual Of Caring for Their Dead." New York Times. New York Times, December 24 2004. Web. 9 May 2011.<
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.htmlres=9400E1D91E30F936A15751C1A9629C8B63&pagewanted=all >.
Precis of 1st Article:
In the 1950's and 1960's there was a major movement to prevent orthodox synagogues from doing "hevra kadishas". This movement started to prevent the Jews from doing difficult tasks involving death and burial so that it become professionalized, and indeed it has changed in that sense. Orthodox synagogues have long held hevra kadishas so that members following ancient Jewish rituals could care for the deceased in the community, and care for them during death and their burials. Times are finally beginning to change again and it is very comforting for families to know their beloved deceased are being cared for by volunteers at local synagogues instead of the nightmarish funeral home industries.
2nd Article: 
Dolnick, Sam." Dance, Laugh, Drink. Save the Date: It’s a Ghanaian Funeral." New York Times. New York Times,  April 11 2001. Web 9 May 2011.<
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/12/nyregion/12funerals.html?_r=1&ref=deathanddying >.
Precis of 2nd Article:
What is often mistaken for a nightclub or a wedding hall is a Ghanaian funeral. The only signs that it's even a funeral are the shirts, posters, and CD's that have pictures of the deceased on them. The funeral's in Ghana culture are literally parties made to celebrate the life of the deceased. Ghanaians see funerals as a celebration of life, while on the other hand Americans see funerals as a place of sadness. If you were to go to one of these funerals crying you would certainly stand out and look awkward, how ironic? 
Analytical Paragraph:
These two incredibly interesting texts can  compare to each other because in each of them they involve some alternative to the standard funeral process. Times are indeed changing, and just like I would like to see people are trying new ideas and bringing forth old suggestions. This is truly the dominant social practice being challenged by the alternative social practices.   In the first article the alternative practice is the ancient Jewish ritual which is hevra kadisha. Volunteers go to their local synagogue and help care for the deceased community members. This is truly a remarkable feat, one which I've never even heard Andy( Social Studies teacher) or anyone talk about in my life. In the second article the alternative practice is the Ghanaian celebration tradition. Instead of a funeral being a time and place for sorrow and sadness, it's a place for laughter and fun. This is what America should be aiming for. How does Ghanaian culture have a better process of dealing with the dead than American culture?
Interview of Someone in Death Care Industry:
Interviewee: Jorge Hernandez (GraveDigger at Cypress Hills Cemetery)
Abdul: Hello sir in 2007 my grandmother was buried right here in this cemetery. Now you are gravedigger so tell me how do you feel about your job and what made you decide to be a ... gravedigger.
Jorge: Well my job actually involves a lot of work in case you didn't know. Digging graves 6ft and 3ft down, digging family plots it;s all hard work. For how I feel about my job it's a depressing job, I mean your digging graves for dead people. It can't get more depressing than that. I decided to be a gravedigger because I've always had respect for the dead. I believe in the supernatural, I'm catholic, and I just feel comfortable around death for some reason. I'm not sure why but it just is something that I want to be involved in.
Abdul: Are you allowed to watch/observe funeral services?
Jorge: I mean were not allowed to intrude on family events since there private and we have to respect families and their grieving time. But I try and go to as many as possible.
Abdul: How many people have you seen in caskets
Jorge: Probably over 1000
Abdul: How do you sleep at night( laughing)
Jorge: I'm used to it after 10 years(more laughing)
Abdul: Well I think your off your lunch break now but thank you very much for all your help Jorge it won't go to waste
Jorge: Anything to help the kids out
Highlights from the interview:
I was really nervous while going to the funeral home since I thought they would shoot down since I'm a kid. I tried to look presentable with my black blazer,white button down, matching black pants, and Ray Ban shades. I mean how could you turn that down. I came in and spoke to the lady at the front desk getting straight to the point. It turns out they respected me for that and were probably also pleased that it wasn't going to cost them anything. My interview was quick wit Jorge who just happened to be walking by on his lunch break. I was lucky to get whatever information I could out of him, though not much.

No comments:

Post a Comment