Friday, May 27, 2011

HW 59: SOF Prom 2011 and DSPs

Well first off I did not attend prom this year. I think that it is silly that prom is on a weekday instead of a weekend. As much as I hate to admit it ,there is just no way that my mom was allowing me to stay out until 3am partying on a school night. That's the only reason I did not go to prom. I would have loved to attend prom, for all the reasons that I can not talk about. This is one of the few units where I don't think the nightmarish industrial atrocities of prom are going to make me change my viewpoint on whether I attend or not. Prom is just one of those things that I want to be apart of before I graduate.


My plans for participating in prom next year will include all of the cliches guy asks girl out, guy wears a tux, renting a hotel room and a limo, and all of the other things that prom has to offer. If anything this unit will only hamper my "golden" prom experience. It will make me aware of all the gender expectations, and social norms that me and my peers will be buying into which will just make things less enjoyable.  I particularly enjoy the way prom is and I still am not sure that the cons of prom are that big of a deal. The way Disney, and cliche movies have advertised prom to me is very appealing. I just want it to truly be the one night where I get to feel like an adult more than usual without actually being an adult yet.


Due to the details shared in this interview the student whom I interviewed will remain anonymous.
Me: So, how was  prom?
Student: It was crazy, I was dancing so much and drinking so much it was awesome.
Me: Wow, I'm not surprised I didn't see you in school today.
Me: How did prom make you feel in terms of were people generally looking their best, were their limos, and hotel rooms after?
Student: Yes it was basically all that you could expect from prom you had your tuxes and dresses, limosounes before and after prom, and people crashing in hotel rooms.
Me: That sounds just like how prom should be, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.
Student: I did and remember next year just enjoy yourself and have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment