Sunday, May 15, 2011

HW 54: Independent Research B


Growing up in a Christian household, when I was finally able to make some life changing decisions on my own I came to an agreement being religious isn't for me. Even though heaven and hell is a part of Christianity I've never been able to completely say there isn't a heaven or hell.  I read the words of John Matthew, and Luke as was recommended. I even interviewed my godmother who is a preacher. Since she preaches the words of the "lord" everyday she should know what she's talking about especially after 27 years.


What Luke, John, and Matthew all say is fairly understandable. However, I am a bit disappointed all there doing is explaining what heaven is not how to get into it.  This is very annoying it makes me feel as though they don't even know the answer themselves. There in a way deceiving people to get into heaven even if it doesn't exist/isn't a good place to go to.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." -
 John 3:16 (King James Version)

My interpretation of the quote is that God loved everybody on Earth so much; he was willing to give up his own son so that everyone who believes in him and his power will be able to live in heaven with him forever. Basically because God gave up his son everybody must bow down to his absolute power and authority. What reassuring news?

"On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus." Teacher, he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"- Luke 4: 18

My interpretation of the quote is that everybody isn't actually sure how to get to the "promised land" where eternal life is given. Everyone seems to have heard of it but people don't exactly know for sure how to get there and obtain eternal life. I feel the bible is often misleading, why can't they just directly tell people what they want from them. If you want people to devote their entire lives to you then you at least owe them enough to be 100% honest with them.


My interpretation of the quote is pretty simple since it's clear what Jesus wants. Jesus says "not everyone who says to me Lord, Lord" does this mean some people who say that will get into heaven, because that's just not fair. Also can listening to Jesus alone not get you into heaven, but you also have to listen to God.

Overall I have come to a census that the quotes from the bible didn't exactly specify what goes on in heaven. All I really learned was that if you don't follow God's preaching’s you’re in trouble. The bible doesn't specify what "trouble" you get into but it can't be too good. After all it is God's wrath. I imagine he sends you directly to hell to let the devil do what he pleases with you. I haven't learned what the afterlife is, but I did learn that there might be one which could be full of good things or bad things.

Since I didn't get much information from the bible, luckily I was able to interview my godmother the preacher. I asked her very simple questions that she should know about for example I asked her what it means to go to heaven. She answered saying that you've been chosen to live in harmony with the lord himself for all eternally. She also said I don't understand what people have a hard time struggling with, just read the bible, and do what he says and you'll be rewarded after death.

This interview showed me how subjective heaven is, like many things in this world. But, since no one really knows what heaven is how can people have been devoted for centuries to god, to  even go so far as to kill people over god. I think people just can't handle all life has to offer and need someone to guide them through life (god). As long as people can start to believe this and accept this themselves then it's fine to believe in heaven.


No comments:

Post a Comment